Friday, February 25, 2011

fallen angels

Zach Gardner
Guys in lit
Fourth hour

Fallen Angels


            Fallen angels is one of my favorite books of all time. I really like it because it is about war. Especially Vietnam. I really, really like war books and this is by far my favorite war book of all time. It has all the right parts to it; suspense, action, happy, sad, joyful, not joyful, and all the aspects of war.
             I really like a lot of Walter Dean Meyers other books like monster. I first read that in eighth grade and it is also really good. I think it is interesting how one author can write about two completely different topics so well and make it so interesting.
I really like how the names of the companies are like A B C D E alpha, beta, Charlie, delta, and echo. I think it is significant and important how the main characters are in the main company, alpha company.
            What I really like about this book is how they go on lots of patrols and it turns out to be a lot more. There is so much action and shooting and there are also really  a lot of injuries but not a lot of death which is good because if it was too sad then the whole story overall wouldn’t be nearly as good, good as it is.
            However, this book is not perfect. There are some parts where it is a little slow or boring or not too exciting but it is usually used to describe or explain something important that has just happened or is going to happen soon. The thing that I think is really unique about this book is  that there is no definite climax to the story which is very good but a little bit of a downfall. I like it that way because there are lots of different mini climaxes throughout the book but none of them are even close to being the same. The last exciting part of the book is definitely a climax though and it is unique the Walter Dean Meyers writes it. However, it is a little bit of a downfall because there is no huge dramatic and extremely suspense full climax like most books have. For example: Lord of the Rings; at Mordor, Star Wars; the battle between Luke, Darth Vader, and also the emperor, and Harry Potter; the final duel between Voldemort and Harry.
            I also like this book a lot because there is a lot of humor in it. Peewee and Perry are really funny together and also not together. One of my favorite characters though is definitely Johnson because he is so awesome. The way Walter Dean  Meyers describes him is so Bad ass. It makes him seem like everybody is afraid of him and that if he wanted to, he could be in total control but hes cool because he knows that that wouldn’t be the right thing to do. I really like it how he is like “the guy” because he has the only machine gun in the squad and he is described as really big and tall and it makes him seem that much more important and cooler throughout the whole story.
            Another thing I really am interested about in this book is how it describes the companies and how they are broken down into the individual squads. From what I read, there are battalions, then companies, then squads, then individual soldiers. And each squad has their own hooch.
            Overall, this is one of my favorite books about war and ive read it multiple times.


No comments:

Post a Comment